9.07.2007

The Weary

Iron Man is in my head. It's one of our pep band songs.

So today was decent... in econ, we started a stock-trading game; in English, we talked about the first few chapters of Brave New World and started a vocab pre-test. It was kinda fun. I'm starting to really like College English. During free period today I read Queen of Attolia. Hmmm... I wonder, have I mentioned that I love those books? Yes. I think I have. Multiple times. To the extent that it's annoying. xD Band was... the usual. Gonna totally fail the chair placement audition. Oh well. Maybe later I'll challenege, but maybe I'll be too lazy.

Ummm... I'm going to try this. It's for the [/Hyrule], but it'll be backstory, probably. I... I dunno. We'll see how this goes.
--
"What is it, elder sisters? You do not look well."
(They look smaller than he remembers, and less radiant. Now they pause before answering him, as if unwilling. Farore speaks.) "Hyrule is going to end soon."
(He swallows.) "End?"
(Mute, Nayru nods.)
"My people...?"
(Farore again.) "They are yet intricately tied to Hyrule. With its end they will fall, though that which you call the Twilight Realm will remain."
(Jindal stares in disbelief. The goddesses--surely they could do something--)
"There is nothing we could do." (Nayru has read his thoughts.) "We have lost much of our power; Hyrule has forgotten us. And even had we our true power, we could not stop this. All worlds end." (Her eyes are the saddest he has ever seen them.)
(Din has not yet spoken. The fire is gone from her eyes and her posture is hunched.)
"Is it Ganondorf?" (Jindal ventures softly.)
"Yes." (Din answers him after a moment, bitterness in her voice.) "Ganondorf blessed by Power will put an end to our world, and I can do nothing."
(Nayru takes her hand and Farore clasps her shoulder. Din sighs. Was it proper for Jindal to feel sorry for her, a being so much greater than himself?)
"There is yet hope," (Nayru comforts him.) "My Princess and Farore's Hero will survive Hyrule's fall. And your Princess will, also."
(Jindal does not voice his confusion, only tilts his head to the side.)
"Ganondorf will attempt to invade the Twilight--you must warn your Princess of that," (Farore instructs him.) "And if you warn her, the power of the Fused Shadows will awake in her, and she will be able to halt Ganondorf at the Mirror."
"And with the power of the Shadows, she will save Hyrule's Chosen Ones. And can you guess where she will take them?" (It takes effort for Jindal not to sigh in relief--flame dances back into Din's eyes as she asks the question, certain of her superiority.)
(And he has a guess, but--it would be impossible. Such a thing--but if it were to be true--his heart quickens.)
"Yes, Jindal," (Farore answers softly.) "The Fused Shadows will fulfill their intended purpose once more. She will take them to the Sacred Realm--with our blessing."
(Jindal shivers--and suddenly he finds himself in tears, bawling as he hadn't since the night he realized his parents were gone and his tribe in a strange land.)
"Why do you weep?" (Nayru.)
(He doesn't know why. Joy that one of his people should reach the Sacred Realm at last? Despair at how long it had taken? Relief at this sign of forgiveness for the sin that he had taken part of?)
"I weep with awe, elder sisters," (he says finally.) "You have known always?"
"Always," (Nayru answers tenderly.)
(For a while longer, he cries, his face in his hands, and finally he raises his head to look at the goddesses.) "I am weary," (he tells them.) "May I sleep again?"
(The goddesses look at him with sympathy.) "Soon," (Farore says.) "You must warn your Princess first. Then speak to your court, and those who wish to sleep again may come to us."

(When he returns, he is alone. He grimaces wryly and gestures at the empty space around him.) "It's cowardly of me, isn't it? To abandon my people? My court was always stronger than I."
(Nayru draws near and lays a hand on his brow.) "You have known more than they have," (she tells him,) "and to know is a heavy burden." There is nothing to be ashamed of; you have served your people well. Do you wish to sleep?"
"A question first." (He cannot stop himself from asking.) "Have I been a tool?"
(All three goddesses shake their heads.) "You have been a player," (Din answers him.) "A player in the game that we started and we have watched."
"All right,"(he whispers.) "All right. I can accept that." (He is ashamed still--but he is so tired. He is full, full to the brim, full with love for his people and with awe for the goddesses.) "Good night, elder sisters."
(Jindal closes his eyes, and the goddesses loose his soul from the sleepless immortality they had given him long ago.)
"Good night, little brother."

No comments: