7.30.2007

Voicing a voiceless character makes my head spin.

Yesterday I went to see The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). It was quite funny. We got home at 10:30. That is why there was no journal entry yesterday.

Today, again, I spent much of my time working on the TP fanfiction. I think I mentioned--though maybe I didn't--that it decided to expand without my permission. Not that that really matters, a I am still making my way through the first section. It is very difficult to make a conversation sound natural when you are equally concerned with including a set number of ideas. Oh! And geez! It's so hard to get a characterization set for Anachron. Link doesn't speak! Ever! I read today that he said two lines in a game once. This was a very old game. They stopped that.
(Incidentally, the wikipedia article poo-pooed the fact that Link spoke in a manga adaptation or something. This is ridiculous. Obviously Link speaks--we simply aren't told what he says. Otherwise no one would ever know his name.)

Oh, by the way, this contains funnies: http://www.rinkworks.com/said/
I was there because the site also had a fantasy name generator, which I needed desperately for the god of the Twilight that I'm going to need later, except that I'm pretty sure Midna said godS, so that's an issue. In any case creating one and developing characterization for three is enough of a headache. They get one god.


So, I'll let you read some more of my fanfic. Yes, it contains spoilers.
Resuming where I left off--
--
Of course he couldn't imagine this Midna rolling her eyes; he was remarkably unadjusted to this version of her, to the point that seeing her was still a shock. The contours of her face were severe and her eyes almost unbearabling discerning. But despite those disconcerting qualities--because of them?--this Midna had an inhuman beauty that stole Anachron's breath every time. All he could do for a few moments was stare in wonder, and when he found his voice again, he could only stutter, "M-Midna... How in the world..."
"Which world?" she asked teasingly.
"Either," Anachron replied, too mystified to take part in the joke. "Yours or mine. Midna, this is incredible..."
Though the image was tiny, limited by the dimensions of the Master Sword, somehow it wrapped around Anachron's mind like a vision, and Anachron felt as if he were standing near Midna having a normal conversation, rather than staring into a sword.
"Isn't it amazing?" Midna nodded. "I never would have imagined that a Sol could do this... But the god of Twilight whispered hints to me in a dream... It's twilight there, isn't it?"
Anachron nodded.
"That's the only time this'll work... which means we don't have a lot of time left tonight." She raised her eyebrows pointedly. "Was it really that hard to figure out?"
"I didn't know what I was looking for," Anachron defended himself. "I thought that maybe--"
"That maybe I was there?" Midna asked shrewdly. She shook her head. "That's impossible. With the Mirror of Twilight broken, there shouldn't be any possibility of contact between my world and yours. This is highly irregular--What?"
The remnants of Anachron's bitterness had surfaced when Midna mentioned the Mirror, and it must have shown on his face.
"You knew all that, of course, when you broke the Mirror," he said evenly.
"Naturally," Midna answered, obviously not sure what Anachron was getting at. "That was the point. Light and Shadow aren't supposed to--"
"So when you said, 'See you later'?"
He saw her comprehend, saw her expression shift.
"We see each other right now, don't we?" she asked evasively.
"You had no idea we could do this. You just said that, Midna."
Finally, for the first time in Anachron's experience, Midna had no response ready.
Bitterness laced through Anachron's voice. "You only said that to deceive me."
Midna sighed. "Yes," she admitted. "I did. I didn't want you to to realize what I was doing." She looked dejectedly at Anachron. "You're angry at me."
"Your parting words to me--your last words to me, as we both thought--were a lie, Midna! What did you expect?"
"I expected it not to matter." Midna looked away from him. "I never expected anything like this to happen, Anachron, and I couldn't have interference. If I hadn't broken the Mirror, the conection would have brought chaos to both worlds. It was the only way."
"You could have said that," Anachron protested. "If you'd said as much, if you'd explained rather than misleading me, I would have accepted it with--less trouble, at least. But I can't help but resent that you tried to fool me!"
"You weren't the only one I had to fool, Anachron!" She turned towards hims suddenly, her eyes flashing.
Anachron didn't understand. "Then who--Princess Zelda?"
"Don't be ridiculous. Why should it matter to her?"
"Then..." There was only one possibility left, but it didn't make any sense. "You had to fool yourself?"
"Yes. I did." The fire seeped out of Midna's eyes and she gave a weak, unconvincing chuckle. "What? Did you think the Mirror could only be shattered by my tears?"
--
That's a good stopping point. I've got a bit more written but I haven't finished off the night yet. Also it's nearly 10:30 here. Good night.

No comments: