8.08.2007

Taxidermy.

There is a point to that title, but I don't think I'll explain it just yet.

Today, pretty much the first thing I did was go for a long, long walk with Mother and Father and Cody. It was lovely. I listened to Fair to Midland the whole time and held Cody's leash for part of the time. At one point he went on a path that was not actually a path. I didn't really appreciate that.

Other than that, when C&T and K., who is visiting us, all finally woke up, I went downstairs and beat Ganondorf on BLAH. Later I gathered the last five heart pieces on Anachron. He has two full heart bars now! Hurray. The only thing really remaining is fishing. I have no interest in going fishing. So I suppose that'll be a reference file.

I watched two episodes of Haibane Renmei without subtitles today. Decent comprehension, though judging by my failed attempt to then watch Bleach without subtitles, I'd say that that was mostly grounded in the knowledge of what was going on. Oh well.

Oh, and I went to Barnes and Noble. I was hoping to find the new FMA and Furuba, as well as D.Gray-Man 6 in Japanese for Zac (since I bought it in Japanese for myself), but all they had was D.GM 6. So I wandered over to the children's section. (Oh yes, WOI is SOOOOO mature.) Therein there was a book called Skulduggery Pleasant. Now first of all, the word skulduggery is tied with anachronism (and related words) for "WOI's FAVORITE WORD IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!!!", so of course I had to look. It's about a skeleton-detective-mage-besutodoressaa named Skulduggery Pleasant and a girl named Stephanie who have to defeat evil things called Faceless Ones. Sounded like dark humor. Therefore, it sounded like my kind of book. Unfortunately it was in hardcover and I'm trying to cut back on impulse buys, at least until I get a job again.
Also I saw a book called Vampirates: Demons of the Seas. This made me sad. I had to leave the row, shaking my head to clear the horrible thought. How foolish...

There is something I may try to write involving an inheritance scramble and the four children of a billionaire widow. Perhaps.


Other than that, guess what?
Twilight Princess spoilers.

Regarding Jindal, I forgot to mention last night that one of the main reasons I'm allowing myself to go so far in developing this OC is that his characterization is actually coming. I'm not very good at coming up with characters. I'm just not. It's the sad and pitiful truth. But Jindal is going wonderfully so embrace it as practice, I suppose.

Would you like to see this narration, then?
I've actually decided that it may make its way into that fic. Maybe.
I'll write it normally for you. In my notebook, I decided to write it starting from the bottom line and working up. (Did I mention that?) Yes, I know I'm insane.
--
With effort, I can recall that time. Only with effort, though; the goddesses willed that we woudl remember little of the circumstances that brought us here, with few specifics and absolutely no recollection of how to perform our fateful magic. Most thoroughly did they impress the shame of failure upon our minds, however, along with their lesson about the dangers of ambition and hubris. Ingenious of them, if insensitive.
But far be it from me to criticize the goddesses.
What I can remember, I will tell you.
We were not a peaceful tribe and we made no effort to be so. We were ambitious to the point of being cold-hearted. We desired the power housed in the Sacred Realm so we spent years, almost a decade, honing our magic. Finally the day came; every person in the tribe, save only the youngest children, applied his or her own magical energy to the effort. I can't say what the magic was supposed to do, of course, but I remember that we all knew immediately that we had incurred the goddesses' wrath. A wrenching pain in our bodies shattered our concentration and brought many to their knees. Then came the feeling that parts of our minds were being ripped away. Later we would realize that this feeling equated to the death of our king and queen, whom we had been supplying our energy to so that they could trespass in the Sacred Realm.
Our king and queen--my parents.
When consciousness could again conquer pain, we found ourselves bathed in an eerie, dim glow. Still stunned, we could only sit up and stare around us in an attempt to figure out what had happened to us. With absurd clarity, I remember thinking that the sky looked strange.
It shames me to say that I, the prince of our people, was not among the first to rise and try to discover where we were, instead electing to lounge pathetically on the ground. I only stood when one of those courageous men ran back to me, saying something about the king and queen. I followed the man for some distance, and I saw my mother and father.
As the ones who had actually trespassed in the Sacred Realm, their punishment was severe. Their bodies were mangled, burnt black, almost beyond recognition.
And they glowed with a strange light, greenish, more intense than the one from the black-clouded sky.
I fell to my knees beside them (quite an impressive picture I'm painting of myself, isn't it?) and--to my shock--my parents slowly floated several feet off the gorund and hovered there! As I watched, the light emanating from their bodies grew brighter, brighter, too bright; I lookeod away. Then suddenly there was a rushing noise, and I looked back to my mother and father--but they were gone, and in their places floated two orbs of light. I stared in awe.
Curiously, the light from these orbs refreshed and strengthened me.
By now you have figured out, of course, that these were the Sols, our version of the sun, which give energy to the world we now call Twilight. Very few of my people know of the origin of the Sols. It would be best that you did not tell the Princess.
--
&And there's more to that, but it's not actually written yet.

No comments: