1.03.2008

I suppose it's just about time for me to post...

I failed to post yesterday because I was keeping my New Year's resolution! I was writing! It was a Wammy's House fanfic! Whoo-hoo! 'Member that Pandore chick? The one who supported Kira? I've been reworking her story.

So since nothing really interesting happened today, I'll type up what I have of that.
-
The students of the Wammy's House were halfway through their lunch when a shout shattered the easy atmosphere of the cafeteria.
"What are you saying?!"
The source of the cry was Jazz. It was clear that she had leapt out of her seat moments before. her short-cropped hair stood out around her aviator's goggles as if electrified. She was furious.
Pandore, the apparent object of Jazz's anger, was still seated. Her face was splotched with red as she fiddled with her curled hair and glanced around the cafeteria. "There was no need to draw everyone's attention," she stated, carefully not meeting Jazz's eyes.
"Why not?" Jazz retorted, ice in her voice. "You're betraying them, too."
What had been curiosity on the other children's part now turned to wariness. There was no room for betrayal at Wammy's House.
"I'm not betraying anyone," Pandore defended herself, her voice raised to address everyone. Then, softly, added, "I just can't see him as completely wrong."
Jazz leaned forward into Pandore's face to hiss, "He's trying to kill L!"
Her face contorted in misery, Pandore leaned back slightly and tried to keep her voice level as she replied, "Obviously, I don't condone or agree with that, but..." Then she trailed off, hopelessly. She had heard the disbelieving intakes of breath, and she could feel the hostile stares of all her peers, who had just realized that she--she, who was supposed be one of L's "children"--supported Kira. She looked away from Jazz and muttered, "Forget it. You know what? Just forget it. Just..." She shook her head, once, and her carefully-styled hair fell around her face. Without finishing her lunch, she strode out of the cafeteria.

Some hours later, Pandore crept into Roger's office. With considerable effort, she met Roger's eyes and said, "I expect you've heard about what happened at lunch."
She'd meant to toss the words out like skipping stones across a lake, but somehow they sank right away.
Roger simply nodded over his folded hands. "I did."
"I--" Pandore swallowed, broke eye contact. Made no attempt to reinstate it. "I wish to leave Wammy's House. My godmother has returned from AFrica, and she says I may live with her for a while."
"I see." Roger sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Panodre, please realize that we would never force you away from here."
"You wouldn't, and Mr. Wammy wouldn't, and Ms. Masen wouldn't. And L..." Pandore's voice wavered a little on "L," and she swallowed again, very firmly. "I suppose I don't have any right to guess at L's thoughts." Unnecessarily, she hooked some of her hair behind her ear. Her hand was shaking. "But the other kids won't want me here anymore. They hate me now; they think I don't be long here. And I guess they're right. If I can't synchronize my thoughts and feelings with L's, why should I be here?"
"Pandore..."
~
XP And that's where I start wavering.
I know what I want to do next-ish, but I'm having trouble getting there. Plus, I'm really sleepy right now (which is why that sentence very nearly said, "Plush, I'm really sleep right now").
Good night.

No comments: